Our readers support us. This post may contain affiliate links. We earn from qualifying purchases. Learn More
Dressage is an English riding discipline with roots in ancient Greece and medieval Europe. For those new to the sport, it could be described as the equivalent of “ballet” in horse riding.
Dressage requires high levels of core strength, stability, and precision from both horse and rider. During competition, the horse has to accurately perform a series of dressage movements in order to achieve a high score.
Another form of dressage is called haute ècole (“airs above the ground”). Many of its spectacular exercises are performed on two legs or entirely in the air.
How much do you know about this elegant sport? Take our dressage quiz below to find out!
1. Which one is a dressage saddle?
None of the above
2. Which horse breed is most suitable for dressage?
3. What is the name of Charlotte Dujardin's famous dressage horse?
4. Which dressage element is performed entirely in the air?
5. What is the bit in a dressage double bridle called?
6. What horse breed does the famous Spanish Riding School in Vienna use?
7. Name the dressage element in the photo:
8. What is a "flying change"?
When the horse switches from one lead leg in canter to the other
When the rider changes the reins in trot
When the horse jumps up and kicks out in the air
Another name for the pirouette
9. The modern dressage sport originated from the cavalry training of European war horses.
10. Which letters are on the centerline of a 20 x 40m dressage arena?
G, X, D
H, E, K
M, B, F
C, X, A
11. Which dressage move is this: A lateral movement in which the horse moves forward and sideways at the same time
12. What elements are required in a novice level dressage test?
15m circle, serpentines, lengthened trot and canter
Shoulder-in, half-pass, extended walk/trot/canter
Leg yield, counter canter, simple changes
Walk/trot/canter, 20m circle
13. Which Olympic Games were the first to include dressage?
14. What should you look for when buying a dressage horse?
Good conformation, expressive gaits, willingness to learn
Lean muscles, steady gaits, calm demeanour
Speed, agility, spirited nature
Strength, stamina, good conformation
15. Which nation has been the most successful in the sport of dressage?
16. Collection is when the horse's hindlegs step further underneath the body, lifting the base of the neck and lightening the forehand.
17. Which one is NOT a Grand Prix dressage movement?
18. What is this highly controversial dressage exercise called?
19. Which type of bridle is not permitted in dressage competitions?
Crank noseband bridle
Drop noseband bridle
20. An overall score of 60% is considered very good for a dressage test.
Saturday 25th of February 2023
This is soooo much fun!!! Im training to be a Grand Prix rider and this has helped me so much.
Also, I have heard that the exercise "Rollkur" is horse abuse in youtube. I am not so sure if it is true, but I would like to know and learn about it from the comments.
Again this quiz was soooo much fun!!! I hope you make more!!❤️🐴
Tuesday 6th of December 2022
this was fun im not even a dresage rider but whatever
Thursday 17th of November 2022
I’ve never done dressage ever but I think I got a good score 14/20?
Wednesday 16th of November 2022
Agreed on the novice, as least change it to add (uk) to it so we know it's talking about designated test and not just the overall experience of horse/rider.
Monday 23rd of August 2021
Unfair question about Novice test elements. US does not have that level in dressage.
Tuesday 24th of August 2021
Sorry about that! We're just trying to make the quizzes as versatile as possible 🙂